site header

Town beat Ipswich to go 5th

13 March 2017 08:26

Nikki Baker made one change to the side that beat Norwich two weeks ago as Jodie Southby started in place of injured Erica Byron.

The Hatters started brightly and tried to keep the ball, and it wasn't long before the first effort on goal should of made it 1-0. Jo Rutherford got tripped on the edge of the box and from the resulting free kick Rutherford whipped it into the box and Nicola Henman's header was well saved at the back post.

Minutes later, Lucy Webster won the ball in her own half and went on one of her brilliant runs, bursting into the box and getting a corner for the Town. Rutherford took the corner which was cleared and Jess McKay hit it first time from distance but it just whistled past the post.

At the other end the home side won a free kick just inside the Luton half, but it was well held by Jess Devoti.

On 24 minutes, the Town finally got the goal they deserved as Rutherford delivered a perfect corner and Amy Summerfield was the first to react as it was deflected downwards and she volleyed it into the net.

Right before half time, Devoti made a good save from another free kick at her near post and McKay got another shot off at the other end after some great combination play from Southby and Zara Carroll.

In the second half the Hatters looked to double their lead as a corner was cleared off the line, and Rutherford flashed a ball across goal. McKay then hit another shot from distance but it dipped just over the bar.

Some good defending at the other end in just her second appearance from Asia Brown denied Amy Howlett a shoti on goal and Henman dealt with the resulting corner.

With five minutes remaining, substitute Jodie Bellinger chased a ball into the corner and looked to be fouled and fell awkwardly on her shoulder. This resulted in a lengthy stoppage in play for treatment and an ambulance being called.

Half an hour later the remaining five minutes were played, with Jemma Moore replacing Bellinger. Manning won the ball halfway inside her own half and a good combination with Carroll led to Moore being in on goal, but her shot was well saved and some good defending at the other end meant that the Town took all 3 points.

Town manager Baker was delighted with the result saying "The girls worked really hard today and did exactly what we asked. We defended superbly and Jess hasn't really had a save to make. Going forward we created some good chances. I am especially pleased that we kept clean sheet. We have 7 league games left now and all we can do is continue to try and pick up points and play the way we are. We all wish Jodie the best recovery from her shoulder injury. The girls did very well to play for 5 minutes when 1-0 up after a 30 minute break in play and for that I am delighted with the 3 points".